July 16, 2014

Poem: I Dream of My Grandmother and Great-Grandmother, English and Italian

Maria in San Mauro Cilento, Italy

I Dream of My Grandmother and Great-Grandmother

I imagine them walking down rocky paths
toward me, strong, Italian women returning
at dusk from fields where they worked all day
on farms built like steps up the sides
of steep mountains, graceful women carrying water
in terra cotta jugs on their heads.
What I know of these women, whom I never met,
I know from my mother, a few pictures
of my grandmother, standing at the doorway
of the fieldstone house in Santo Mauro,
the stories my mother told of them,
but I know them most of all from watching
my mother, her strong arms lifting sheets
out of the cold water in the wringer washer,
or from the way she stepped back,
wiping her hands on her homemade floursack apron,
and admired her jars of canned peaches
that glowed like amber in the dim cellar light.
I see those women in my mother
as she worked, grinning and happy,
in her garden that spilled its bounty into her arms.
She gave away baskets of peppers,
lettuce, eggplant, gave away bowls of pasts,
meatballs, zeppoli, loaves of homemade bread.
"It was a miracle," she said.
"The more I gave away, the more I had to give."
Now I see her in my daughter,
the same unending energy,
that quick mind,
that hand, open and extended to the world.
When I watch my daughter clean the kitchen counter,
watch her turn, laughing,
I remember my mother as she lay dying,
how she said of my daughter, "that Jennifer,
she's all the treasure you'll ever need."
I turn now, as my daughter turns,
and see my mother walking toward us
down crooked mountain paths,
behind her, all those women
dressed in black.



Ho Sognato Nonna E Bisnonna

Le immagino camminar giù per rocciosi sentieri
verso di me, forti, donne italiane che tornano
al tramonto da campi dov’ han lavorato tutto un giorno
in poderi fatti a forma di gradini su per fianchi
scoscesi di montagne, donne aggrazziate che portan acqua
in brocche di terracotta sul lor capo.
Quel ch’io so di queste donne, che non ho mai conosciuto,
lo so tramite la mamma, alcune fotografie
della nonna, in piedi sull’uscio
della sua casa di campagna a San Mauro,
le storie che di esse raccontava la mamma,

ma le conosco soprattutto al guardar
la mamma, le forti sue braccia sollevar le lenzuola
dall’acqua fredda della macchina,
o dal suo retrocedere,
asciugandosi le mani col grembiule casereccio di sacco da farina,
ammirando i suoi vasetti di pesche conservate
risplendenti come ambra alla luce fioca dello scantinato.

Vedo quelle donne nella mamma
lavorando, con ghigno e felice,
nell’orto che le colmava le braccia d’abbondanza.
Regalava cesti di peperoni,
lattuga, melanzane, regalava ciotole di pasta,
polpette, zeppole, pagnotte di pane fatto in casa.
“Era un miracolo,” diceva.
“Più ne davo, ancor di più avevo da darne.”
Or la vedo in mia figlia,
quella stessa inesauribile energia,
quella mente lesta,
quella mano, aperta e stesa al mondo.
Quando guardo mia figlia pulire il banco di cucina,

quando la vedo girarsi, sorridere,
ricordo la mamma moribonda,
come disse di mia figlia, “Quella Jennifer,
è tutto il tesoro di cui avrai mai bisogno.”

Or mi giro, mentre si gira mia figlia,
e vedo la mamma venir verso di noi
giù per sentieri tortuosi di montagna,
dietro di lei, tutte quelle donne
in veste nera.







Maria's Official Site is at MariaGillan.com and her books are available at Amazon.com.  Her latest publication is the poetry and art collection,  The Girls in the Chartreuse Jackets

No comments: